Rose is 2

Celebrating 2 years of this monkey

Two years ago yesterday, I woke up at 3 in the morning with regular contractions every 8 minutes. They were uncomfortable, but they didn’t hurt so I thought they were probably Braxton Hicks contractions… but maybe not.

At about 10 am, I was still having contractions, but they still didn’t really hurt. I drove myself to a doctor’s appointment 30 minutes away. I told my doctor about the contractions, but since they didn’t really hurt, she said I probably wasn’t in labor even though I’d been contracting for a full minute every 8 minutes for the past 7 hours. She checked me to discover I was nearly 5 cm dilated. Almost halfway there. You would think this would get you a free pass directly to labor and delivery, but since my contractions weren’t painful she sent me home and told me to go to the hospital if I even “smelled” labor since I was dilating so easily (I had been at least 3 cm the week before and something like 2 cm since 35 weeks).

I went home and continued to have the same contractions all day long. I started calling the people (several different families) we had lined up to watch Lily while we were at the hospital just to see who was free/put everyone on alert.

Nobody answered.

Nobody called back for several hours.

Which was disturbing. What if this had been a labor emergency?!

Finally I started calling other people. My friend studying to be a nurse practitioner FREAKED OUT when she heard I was at home contracting and “nearly 5 cm”.


It was about 4 pm. I was getting a nervous. If I had been nearly 5 cm hours ago with no real pain, I was concerned I could get to 10 cm without even knowing it.

I texted my husband and told him he should come home soon. It should also be noted that even though Dr. Toy Warden knew I had been contracting every 8 minutes and was 5 cm dilated he didn’t call me all day to make sure I hadn’t given birth on the kitchen floor. I guilt him about this and the fact that when I woke him up at 12:30 am to tell him I was in labor with Lily he said “WHAT? WHAT DO YOU WANT?!”

My contractions still weren’t hurting me, but they had picked up pace a little to 6 minutes a part. My doctor had said if anything had changed, we should go in. So we decided we should go… though I felt very silly about it even though I was almost 5 cm dilated. I wasn’t hurting. When I went to the hospital in labor with Lily, I was in screaming-level pain. This time I was like “Contraction? What contraction?”

But we went. And 6 hours (a water breaking, a last-minute epidural and a delivery by a male doctor even though I went to an all female practice) later Rose was here at 12:47 am.

Originally, the hospital screwed up her birth record and had her down for October 8.

But it had definitely been October 9 for 47 minutes.

It’s hard to believe that was two years ago. That strange and somewhat comical labor got us one of the most hilarious, sweet and feisty little girls on the planet.

Asserting her dominance since 2009



Filed under Uncategorized

4 Responses to Rose is 2

  1. Trigem

    Happy Birthday Rose. My baby turns 4 tomorrow. Where does the time go.

  2. Aw, baby Rose is absolutely adorable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>